Okay, that’s not true. I do have a due date… but only because I have to.
I tried as long as I could to get away with just saying “the end of June” but now that it’s the end of June, I have to be more specific when people ask. But here’s the thing, it really doesn’t matter.
I don’t even think you should be given a date.
First of all, the method for calculating due dates is not accurate. If your doctor pulled out a “wheel” to calculate (or you typed it into a website) chances are, it’s wrong. Those calculations are based off of a 28 day cycle, in which you should have ovulated on the 14th day of your cycle.
With my first, I was charting my cycle so I knew I had 32 day cycles and I ovulated on the 21st day of my cycle. That meant that her “wheel” date was an entire WEEK off. She told me I was due 4/27 and I told her I was due 4/21. My son was born 4/6 so either way it was irrelevant.
With this pregnancy, I never had a period after my son was born so I have NO idea when I ovulated. Which means that my due date was based on an ultrasound.
Yes, it is true that ultrasound due dates are more accurate at the beginning of the pregnancy and therefore my due date should be pretty close. However, in general, ultrasounds are pretty inaccurate and really don’t mean a whole lot in terms of size and weight. When you get a weight estimate from an ultrasound, it can be off by +/- 2lbs. 2 lbs is a lot!!
But more importantly, when a doctor or midwife gives you that date, they don’t happen to mention it to the actual baby. Either that or the baby needs an iPhone so they get the reminder of the date. Babies don’t read calendars. Babies don’t care when they are “due”. Babies come when they are ready.
That being said, I don’t have a due date because I am not expecting her to come on any specific day. And because I am not expecting her to come, I am constantly surprised by how many people have asked me if I have already scheduled my induction.
I will not schedule an induction unless my baby is in immediate medical danger.
Yes, I am anxious for Charlotte to get here. I promise, I am the most excited and anxious of anyone. But the risks of induction are so high that unless there is a serious reason for me to use it, I really just prefer to wait. (And I am not a patient person, I am not spontaeous. I need a plan for everything.) So, it might be tonight, but it might be next week. And I am okay with either. I want her to come when she’s ready, when she’s healthy.
Right now, I am off to take my little guy swimming and enjoy the time we get together!